Kaipola, also known as Banana cake or the steamed plantain cake, is an authentic Malabar dish. It is made by combining two of the amazing ingredients, namely Egg and Banana. The recipe of Kaipola is quick and very easy. It can be made by anyone and at any time as it needs basic ingredients that are not difficult to source. It is also quite popular during Ramadan month as it is served during the iftar parties.
The best part about the recipe is that it is easy to cook and tastes amazing. Also, the ingredients are readily available at home. The banana cake can be savoured as breakfast or enjoyed as an evening snack as well. When you shallow fry the ripe bananas, they taste delicious and offer the much needed natural sweetness to the dish.
Apart from being rich in flavours, the dish is also high in its nutritional value. Let’s have a look at this quick and easy recipe for kaipola.
- You need 3 ripe bananas- preferably Nendrapazham banana
- You need 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 teaspoon A2 Bilona Ghee
- Cashew nuts and raisins for garnishing
When using ghee for the Kaipola recipe, A2 Bilona Ghee is the best option. It is one of the purest desi cow ghee which is now quite rare to get. A2 Bilona Ghee is just like a blessing from the holy cow and what best than enhancing the flavours of your recipe by using it.
- Peel the skin of the banana and cut it into small pieces.
- Take a bowl and break the eggs into it.
- Now add sugar and cardamom in the bowl.
- Beat the mixture with a fork, or you can also use an eggbeater.
- Beat the mixture till sugar is dissolved in the mixture.
- Take a pan and pour ghee.
- When ghee is hot, add cashews and raisins.
- Now fry the nuts and raisins until golden brown and keep them aside.
- Now add some chopped banana in the pan and fry till it gets brown in colour.
- Add the fried bananas into the egg mixture and combine them well.
- Take a pan and pour some ghee for greasing the pan.
- Now pour the mixture into it.
- Cover the pan and let it cook on low flame for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes, open the lid and insert a toothpick to see if the cake is cooked.
- If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is cooked.
- Switch off the flame and allow the cake to cool.
- Once cool, cut into pieces and serve.
- The cake can alternatively be cooked in an oven or steamer as well.
Do try this recipe at home and delight your taste buds with something nutritious. It is a maida free healthy cake which tastes yummy.